• Holidays
  • Property
  • News

Developed in conjunction with Ext-Joom.com

How to Advertise on Canal Cuttings!

Pay button


For Trade adverts anywhere on this site, contact us for details.

After payment, please send advert text and pictures to [email protected]

Details of how the two-week wait was finally ended as private company River Canal Rescue stepped in. Is there a case for having a team like this on constant standby?

Refloat On their facebook page, RCR explain how they solved the problem that had seemingly foxed the experts for two weeks:
RCR received a call yesterday in regards to refloating narrow boat Langdon which had come to grief 2 weeks previously in lock 10 on the K&A in central bath. Langdon is a Hire boat owned by Anglowelsh. The initial assessment was that a crane would be required to lift the vessel however after a number of suppliers failed to get approval and worries about the stability of the lock (CRT property) recovery had not been attempted.

RCR sent personnel to assess the boat and site on Thursday whilst all relevant documentation was submitted for approval. C&RT third party works engineers worked to get the approval signed off as speedily as possible so that a refloat attempt could be made on Friday, and RCR and C&RT were still working at 9pm in order to ensure that all H&S issues were addressed.

RCR were confident that the refloat would not require lifting equipment or heavy plant, and could be undertaken with manpower, ropes and pumps. Using years of experience the vessel was secured to ensure it could not move during the refloat and to stabilise it during the water raising as it was lying at an angle and caught on the sill. Rescue personnel entered the lock and sealed all water entry points, and used tauplines to ‘bag’ the front of the boat.

Whilst in the lock they also cleared the environmental spillage waste to ensure the lock was ready for use as soon as the rescue was completed. The water in the boat was pumped out and then once secure, the RCR rescue team vacated the lock and the lock was refilled with coordination between the chief coordinator and lock keeper to ensure the water flow worked to refloat the vessel. Once the vessel was refloated it was mooring in the lock whilst the vessel was checked and any remaining water removed.

She was then butted to another boat and taken to a local base by the owners.

The rescue team were on site for 4 hours, with the refloat taking all of 2hrs to complete. Trevor Forman Chief Rescue coordinator stated “ we used ropes to restrict movement without any undue stress on bollards and the natural water movement in the lock to ensure a successful refloat, this rescue was a text book job and proves that with the right experience and expertise refloats can be achieved quickly and without to much disruption to the navigation system”