NB "The King" BW60833 - Historic Narrowboat
The King was built by Fellows, Morton and Clay
- Length: 72ft / 2196cm. Beam: 7ft / 214cm.
Steel hull power of 21BHP.
Registered No. BW60833 - Powered.
Originally registered at Birmingham No.1549 - The narrowboat The King now had a full length steel cabin and has been converted.
Aqueduct Marina Welcomes "The King"
The new Church Minshull Aqueduct Marina was home to famous
steamboat ‘The King’, when the marina opened in 2009.
The King was built in 1905 as a steamer for Fellows, Morton & Clayton.
Over the years it has seen many new owners, new engines and has had many an adventure
including lying underwater for several years in the late 60s. The King is mentioned
in a report, held in the Northampton Record Office, after a crewmember left a
paddle up whilst working through the Stoke locks in 1921, subsequently ‘emptying
the long pound’ behind it. The current owner, Graham Russell has carefully
restored The King and moved this historic boat to its
new home at the Aqueduct Marina.
Aqueduct Marina has 147 moorings in a superb rural setting and central location on the Middlewich
branch of the Shropshire Union Canal.
“People are attracted to this marina because of its location,” confirms
owner Robert Parton. “We are on the gateway to a number of different canals
including the Llangollen Canal and the Trent and Mersey giving boat owners unusual,
easy access to hundreds of miles of the region’s waterways.
For further information and bookings visit:
tel: 01270 522 284