NB "Ian" BW 60562 - Historic Narrowboats
Narrowboat Ian 60562
Above is scan from a 35mm Kodachrome transparency of nb Ian with butty Lucy carrying coal taken by Raymond Hearn around 1967 - 1.5 miles (measured on on the canal) south of the 3 locks at Linslade (Chelmscote).
Ian is registered with British Waterways with number 60562 as a powered craft with a wooden hull built by Nurser Brothers in January 1948.
70' working boat with rebuilt Lister JP2
Boatmans cabin with Epping range.
Last wooden working boat built at Braunstone in 1948, latterly largely rebuilt with new bottom and side planks.Undercloth conversion (timber and regentex cloths) with five bunks,shower,galley,Rayburn etc. Immaculately re-painted back cabin by Ron Hough in Samuel Barlow colours.
Length 70 feet (21.33m); Beam 7 feet (2.13m); Draft 3 feet 3 inches (1.00m).
Ian (motor) - built January 1948 originally paired with butty Iona built in April 1944, later paired with butty Lucy.
We haven't yet seen Narrowboat Ian although we do know she is still around somewhere according to the BW register!
We were told she is based at the Warwickshire Fly co. boatyard.
If you have any more information about nb Ian, please let us know [email protected]