Anderton Boat Lift - Connecting The Trent & Mersey Canal With The River Weaver Navigation
Directions: Off the A559 follow brown 'heritage' signs - MAP
Near Northwich, Cheshire, close to Manchester, Liverpool, Chester and Crew, the Anderton Boat Lift is affectionately known as the Cathedral of the Canals. Designed by Edwin Clark and built in 1875, the world's first boat lift was renovated at the turn of the millennium and reopened in March 2002. The Anderton Boat Lift connects the Trent and Mersey Canal with the River Weaver Navigation more than 50 feet below. A prime visitor attraction in the region and internationally acclaimed.
It is incredible to think that the Victorians had the technology to build such an engineering masterpiece enabling the raising or lowering of canal boats by huge hydraulic rams, supporting double-wide cast iron plate caissons holding many tonnes of water.
British Waterways should be congratulated upon their management of the Anderton Boat Lift as a working facility for boaters wishing to move from the Trent and Mersey Canal to the River weaver Navigation or vice versa, as well as running the visitor attraction [entrance charges apply] that houses the Anderton Boat Lift Operations Centre, exhibition area, cafe and viewing deck within the two storey facility.
The surrounding grounds hold a viewing area, picnic area, children's play with a model canal system in the learning area, maze and paved wheelchair friendly walk with information boards spaced along its length.
The 'Edwin Clark', a glass topped trip boat can carry non boat owners on a 30 minute 'ride' on the Anderton Boat Lift, either up or down depending on timing - Travel through time as the story of its history is revealed. As an extra delight once a day the 'Edwin Clark' cruises up the Weaver Navigation towards Northwich Town [Swing] Bridge and return. Charges apply.
Call 01606 786777 for times.